Art Journal Step by Step: Moon Goddess
One of my goals for the New Year was to focus on my art. It’s not always easy for me to look at my time spent creating things as a wise use of time. Often I find myself feeling guilty after a weekend spent playing with my art supplies. I’m sure I’m not the only artist or crafter who feels a degree of guilt when sinking big chunks of free time into creating. Especially if the end result is just for ourselves. I mean, after all if what we are creating is going to be given as a gift or sold on Etsy, it somehow seems to give it more validity, right? But that line of thinking is wrong on so many levels. Which is why I decided to devote more time to my art and creativity as a great big ‘F-U’ to the guilt. So I joined Journal52, an amazing group of extremely supportive artists who are attempting to create an art journal page each week of the year based on a weekly prompt.
I’m up to week four and loving the sense of community and support of the group, but I’m also in love with the fact that since I created my own art journal for this project out of file folders, I don’t feel like I’m ‘ruining’ an expensive journal when I want to experiment with techniques, tools and products. This week’s prompt was to “Explore or Celebrate the Full Moon” in our art journals. And that’s what I did.
I made the connection between the full moon to the moon goddess Selene, and the following little rhyme popped into my head:
“Selene reached out with rays of white to softly frame her form with white…”
I’m not sure where it came from or where it may belong eventually (perhaps a book of poetry or that fantasy novel I’ve always dreamt of writing?) but I grabbed hold of it and used it as the basis for my journal page.
You can follow along in the video below. Beneath the video is a list of the products I used creating the page.
Products used in this page:
- We R Memory Keepers Nesting Circle Dies
- Distress Paints by Tim Holtz in Faded Jeans, Chipped Sapphire, Black Soot and Picket Fence
- Wink of Stella White glitter pen by Zig
- Rock Wall stamp by Bo-Bunny
- Bead Landing Fashion Sequins in black and silver
- Copic markers in Light Crockery Blue and Cool Gray
- Artist Loft Watercolors set
- Koi Waterbrush – medium
- Santoro Mirabelle Traveller’s Rest stamp set
- Faber Castell Big Brush markers in White and Gray
- Faber Castell Pitt Pens in Black– B, S & XS sizes
- Sakura Gelly Roll pens in White and Silver glitter
- Ranger Glossy Accents
Leave a Comment