One of my goals for the New Year was to focus on my art. It’s not always easy for me to look at my time spent creating things as a wise use of time. Often I find myself feeling guilty after a weekend spent playing with my art supplies. I’m sure I’m not the only artist or crafter who feels a degree of guilt when sinking big chunks of free time into creating. Especially if the end result is just for ourselves. I mean, after all if what we are creating is going to be given as a gift or sold on Etsy, it somehow seems to give it more validity, right? But that line of thinking is wrong on so many levels. Which is why I decided to devote more time to my art and creativity as a great big ‘F-U’ to the guilt. So I joined Journal52, an amazing group of extremely supportive artists who are attempting to create an art journal page each week of the year based on a weekly prompt.
I’m up to week four and loving the sense of community and support of the group, but I’m also in love with the fact that since I created my own art journal for this project out of file folders, I don’t feel like I’m ‘ruining’ an expensive journal when I want to experiment with techniques, tools and products. This week’s prompt was to “Explore or Celebrate the Full Moon” in our art journals. And that’s what I did.
I made the connection between the full moon to the moon goddess Selene, and the following little rhyme popped into my head:
“Selene reached out with rays of white to softly frame her form with white…”
I’m not sure where it came from or where it may belong eventually (perhaps a book of poetry or that fantasy novel I’ve always dreamt of writing?) but I grabbed hold of it and used it as the basis for my journal page.
You can follow along in the video below. Beneath the video is a list of the products I used creating the page.
Products used in this page:
- We R Memory Keepers Nesting Circle Dies
- Distress Paints by Tim Holtz in Faded Jeans, Chipped Sapphire, Black Soot and Picket Fence
- Wink of Stella White glitter pen by Zig
- Rock Wall stamp by Bo-Bunny
- Bead Landing Fashion Sequins in black and silver
- Copic markers in Light Crockery Blue and Cool Gray
- Artist Loft Watercolors set
- Koi Waterbrush – medium
- Santoro Mirabelle Traveller’s Rest stamp set
- Faber Castell Big Brush markers in White and Gray
- Faber Castell Pitt Pens in Black– B, S & XS sizes
- Sakura Gelly Roll pens in White and Silver glitter
- Ranger Glossy Accents